The role of IT project manager blends the technical knowledge of an IT role with the organisational and interpersonal skills of a project management role.
The IT project manager is tasked with ensuring that technical projects and initiatives are delivered on time and within budget. They take requirements from various departments, translate them into technical briefs and timeliness of deliverables, and act as a point of contact as they oversee the operation.
Project manager responsibilities
The project manager job description often requires focus on maintaining multiple business-critical IT projects at any given time.
They are responsible for collecting project requirements from business leaders and translating them into technical briefs with timelines which they then issue to the IT team.
The project manager will monitor and oversee the project until completion and will take care of any issues or project roadblocks which may arise.
Project manager responsibilities include:
- Writing and delivering project briefs
- Managing IT project budgets
- Allocating IT resources to the relevant parties
- Organising and setting project priorities
- Troubleshooting and solving roadblocks
- Acting as a main point of contact
- Managing relationships with external suppliers
As the foundation of this role is project management, the IT project manager will need to have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to maintain relationships across all departments.
IT project manager qualifications, skills and experience
To properly fulfil project manager responsibilities, professionals within this role should have a blend of IT expertise, management experience and interpersonal skills.
They should have a degree in a related subject, such as engineering, business management or IT/computer science.
The project manager job description also includes some of the following qualifications and experience:
- An excellent working knowledge of server systems
- Fluent in HTML, JQuery and CSS
- ITIL certified
- Experience with project management software
- Certified in Scrum, Agile, Prince2 or PMI
Soft skills needed for the role are as follows:
- Ability to collaborate well
- Negotiation skills
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong communication skills
Are you looking for IT project manager roles? You can find our latest vacancies here.